Monday, January 6, 2014

I'm staying put...

Well it's that time of transfer.. Text came in last night. I'm staying a fifth! I bore my testimony yesterday in church and got up to the pulpit and said,"Well I've been here long enough that I'm basically a member." I've been here since July and will be here till February.. Unless I don't ever leave and spend the rest of my mission here. I couldn't be more grateful to stay with my companion though.

This week was crazy.. 
New Years eve we went over to Veronica's. My first convert here in this area. She invited us over to her brothers house and her mom came, and her cousins. One big Ecuadorian New Years eve party. One thing that I remember when we went to Ecuador was that every New Years Eve all the men dress up like women and then they stuff some of their old clothes to make a pretend human. They write the last year on it and then at midnight they light them on fire. I remember walking into this apartment and there was a "Weekend at Bernies" type man sitting in the corner. It looked so odd to me and took me a second to realize what it was. Well then i adopted him as my date for the night and we got along just fine. It's a bummer that we weren't in Ecuador and couldn't light him on fire. I guess it wouldn't have mattered because we were home LONG before midnight anyway! 

Little spiritual fun note.. Street contact came to church yesterday and it was testimony meeting. Young 19 year old very spiritual boy. I sat next to him in sacrament meeting and I went up and bore a quick testimony and as I was closing he came up to the stand and bore his. I was in awe. First time at church. Way to go kid! He's was on page ten in the book of mormon and even volunteered to say the prayer in sunday school.. even though he started it off.. Oh God who art in the heavens.. I was pretty impressed. He lives in the Elders area but it was still really fun to see that happen.

One other really fun miracle. I don't think I shared this last week... But it goes to show that even small things can have a huge purpose. When I was up here with Hermana Schaefer one night I had a really odd desire to eat ice cream... she did too! So later that night when we had time set aside we went and found this ice cream shop that everyone had been talking about. Walked in sat down.. and I had a the prompting to talk to the ice cream shop owner. As I started to move he came up to us.. Said he grew up with his uncle who was a patriarch and his cousin told him that NY had really fun young single adult activities so he wondered if we could get him information on that... well he was baptized yesterday!! A sweet little reward.

One other fun note.. has to do with the weather. This weekend it snowed.. HARD. and then Saturday night.. it rained. And then all froze. We didn't walk to church yesterday.. we ice skated!! We were dying laughing and poor sister Acosta has never seen the snow let alone dealt with ice before. We were all over the place!! The best part wast the there is a slant in the sidewalk going up to the church door and we couldn't get up. I had to get a fast walking start and slide up to the door to get there!! 

Well onward and upward just like it was like getting into the church!! Love you all!

Hermana Schwendiman

Diego turned 21 this week and kept saying he was OLD.  So since I am already 21, we took an old people picture
My Ecuadorian date for New Years Eve!


No comments:

Post a Comment